Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Castilblanco

There is a special kind of bond that forms when sharing small suboptimal quarters with each other, so the next morning over breakfast ... cafe con leche which is the morning fuel of pilgrims ... and tostadas (toasted baguette), we designed some padding to put around my blisters so I would be able to walk with Rita and Fernando to Castilblanco, a short day of only 18 km.

I walked straight through, fearing that if I sat down I´d be unable to get up again. Much of the time I walked with Rita, my new-found friend from Germany. It was an enjoyable walk, where we discovered that we had both taken a 10-day Vipassana course, and share a fondness for Taize music. Like many of the pilgrims on the Via de la Plata, we had both previously walked the Camino Frances, and found that a part of us had been left in Spain, calling us to walk again.

The way was easy, and we arrived in Castilblanco by 1pm. We were pleased to find an albergue that contained beds with real mattresses, separate washrooms, and a wonderful terrace on which to relax, dry our clothes, and take care of our feet, as pilgrims must do.

In spite of our early arrival, the day flew by quickly. We walked across the street for something to eat, and purchased equipment with which to address my blisters. A scalpel and yellow disinfecting liquid were reported to be the best cure, but my blisters are too fresh, and immediatly refill.

So today, after a mere two days on the Camino, I am taking a rest day, allowing my blisters time to heal before attempting a 30 km day tomorrow. A young woman who is walking with her father is in a similar situation. We bid farewell to our new friends and are spending a quiet day, relaxing here in Castilblanco. Though I would love to walk with my friends, it feels right to be sitting here, slowing down my pace ... waiting til mañana when perhaps my feet and my mind will be in the same place and Iĺl be able to walk comfortably again.

4 comments:

Jolivore said...

It's such a hard lesson to learn, that on our journeys, we have to tend to what carries us!

Anonymous said...

Just caught up on all your adventures in Spain. It sounds so rich with life. I look forward to reading more of your well-written blog. Thanks for allowing me to share in your adventure. Now go and take good care of those feet!
Collette

Anonymous said...

There's no escaping being present in the present moment when blisters appear. I hope your feet are much better, and am very much enjoying your blog. Thanks for making the time to write - it feels like a gift at this end. I look forward to next time.

sharon said...

how wonderful to read of your process and experiences. thank you! am so happy that you are exactly where you are wanting to be!
looking forward to other installments.