Monday, March 31, 2008

Alcuescar

A surprise to have a few minutes free at a library while everything else is closed, so I can write a few words til someone else asks for the computer.

The landscape has become hilly again, a bit more difficult for walking, but surprises around every corner. Today I walked through a park with beautiful wildflowers all along ... I´ve been told that this is one of the most beautiful sections of the camino ... muy bonito ... though it seems that I hear nothing but wonderful reports of everywhere ... most of them warranted.

All but two of the people that I have met have walked more caminos than I have, and we all continue to do it for the same reasons ... we simply can't get it out of our systems ... we enjoy walking, being in nature every day, sharing meals and stories with other peregrinos ... and also for the gratitude that walking the Camino bestows. It's not only about seeing beautiful scenery and meeting people so full of life, but also about the feel of a hot shower (if we are lucky enough to have hot water) at the end of a long day of walking, how soft walking on grass feels compared to walking on the highway, and the delicious food enjoyed along the way. Simple things mean so much to a pilgrim.

Yesterday I stayed in a small village with a very lovely albergue, complete with a living room and kitchen. The owner was away for a few hours, and when she returned I asked her if the place usually had hot water. She was surprised that it was cold, quickly fixed it, and then took me to her house so I could use her hair dryer, since she felt so bad that I had had to wash my hair with cold water.

There are more new people walking the Camino all the time, and others who are leaving, so each day the group is different. Saying hello and goodbye to other pilgrims is becoming easier, especially when I see that we are able to keep in touch. Today I found a note from Rita, which she had left for me at her last albergue before returning to Germany. I was quite touched to receive pilgrim mail!

1 comment:

Gord and Bev said...

Nancy, I sent an earlier comment, but I guess it didn't "take". I absolutely love reading about your adventures on the Camino! I am filled with a desire to do it myself one day...perhaps in 5 years when I get my year off for my 4-over-5. Great to hear that the people and the scenery make the journey worthwhile, in spite of hills and rain and blisters! Love to you.