Friday, April 11, 2008

Hervas

I'm at a wonderful albergue at the moment ... sounds of Vivaldi the first classical music I've heard since I've been here, and it makes me want to stay, particularly since it is once again cold and rainy ... unusual for this time of year they tell me.

I try to wait out the heaviest rains near some kind of shelter, but this is not always possible, and my boots are still wet from yesterday. The other day another peregrina and I were standing under a large tree when we heard thunder and realized that was not the best place to be. We ducked into a nearby barn and had a lovely picnic there. Then proceeded to an arch in the middle of nowhere where we were picked up to go to a nearby hostal ... was glad there was an option to break up the otherwise 40 km walk in the rain.

I have decided to start eating more ... need a lot of food to sustain me on these walks. This is no problem at this albergue ... Ignacio, the hospitalero, made me 5 pieces of toast for breakfast and then offered more.

I am nearly to the halfway point of my walk ... have been looking forward to Salamanca as a resting point. Yesterday I saw that it is still 99 km away by road, probably longer by Camino, so it will be a few more days, though the villages are interesting along the way.

No comments: